Not sure if you have a water leak in your home or office?
Learn how to identify the signs of a water leak in your home and know when it’s time to call in a leak detection team!
If you think that you might have a leak in your home or commercial space, you’ll want to find a trusted leak detection team as soon as possible. Not only can unaddressed leaks lead to further, costly damage over time, but they can also expose anyone in your home to health hazards like mold.
In this article, One Stop Restoration in Atlanta GA experts are going to explain what leak detection is, when it’s necessary, and how much you can plan to spend in the Atlanta area for this kind of service. When you’re ready to have your home or office assessed for a leak, make sure to give your local Atlanta restoration company a call. We’ll find the leak before it can cause any more damage!
What is leak detection?
The name pretty much explains itself: leak detection is a process of detecting whether there are any leaks on your property. Once it’s been established that there is probably a leak in your home or office, the next step will be leak location. This will help you isolate the source of the leak so that your plumber can go about fixing it.
How do you know if you need leak detection?
As a home or business owner, there are a lot of things that you need to keep tabs on to ensure that your property is in good shape. And, unfortunately, problems with your water lines aren’t always the most obvious because the majority of your water lines are hidden from sight. Here are a few scenarios in which you should hire a leak detection team to come take a look:
- Your water bill seems to be unusually high.
- There is a smell of mold in your home
- You’re having problems with water pressure
These are all red flags that could suggest that you have a hidden water leak.
Another important moment to conduct a water leak test is when you’re buying a property. Just like you want to inspect a home or building for other potential problems, such as termites or electrical issues, you’ll also want to take a look at the integrity of the water lines. If a leak has been detected, you can then work with the seller to negotiate whether you want them to fix the problem before the sale or reduce the price so that you can fix it yourself.
How is leak detection done?
Leak detection should always be done by a trained professional with highly-specialized equipment for the job. Here’s how they’re going to do it:
- Locate the water meter box. The first thing that your team is going to want to do when they arrive on your property is locate the water meter box. This will help them keep an eye on water flow as they start searching for the leak. If you don’t know where your meter is, don’t worry. We’ve visited enough homes and offices in the Atlanta area to know where the meter is likely to be!
- Separate the water system into smaller sections. Trying to find a leak without isolating the water system into smaller sections is inefficient and difficult. So they’re going to look at the outside and inside water systems separately, as well as indoor hot and cold water lines separately.
- Use leak detection equipment to isolate the leak. Once it’s been determined that the leak is either in the yard or in the building or home, your leak detection pros will pull out the leak detection equipment. There are a variety of tools specialized for this job, all of which allow the technician to listen closely for the tell-tale signs of a leak in a water line. In order to do this, you may be asked to unplug or turn off other appliances which can cause sound pollution during the process. This is the longest part of the process, requiring a full walk-through of the property, sometimes with more than one kind of equipment. This ensures that the leak is properly located and additional problems are not overlooked.
- Repair plan. Once the leak has been detected on your property, it will be time to talk about repairs. Your leak detection team will sit down with you and propose a few different ways to go about fixing the problem, whether that includes going through the floor or tunneling underneath.
As you can see, leak detection should only ever be done by a trained professional. If they’re not familiar with the equipment or unsure of how to isolate the water system into sections, you could end up exposing the wrong part of your water line, which could cost you more time and money in lost water.
How much can you expect to pay for this service?
Leak detection in the Atlanta area can range somewhere between $100 and $400. You can find restoration companies that offer this service with a flat rate or by an hourly fee. And it can be helpful to call ahead of time to get a more accurate quote.
It’s important to remember that leak detection is a separate service than leak repair. Once your leak detection team has located the leak, then they will discuss repair options with you and offer a quote.
Not sure? One Stop Restoration can help you fast 24/7!
Don’t let a suspected water leak go unaddressed!
There are many reasons why you should call out a leak detection team at the earliest signs of a water leak in your home. Not only can it help you save potentially hundreds of dollars on your monthly water bill, but it could also protect your home or office from further damage. After all, an unaddressed water leak can threaten the foundation of your property and cause other costly problems like a mold outbreak.
So, if you think your home or office might have a water leak, act fast! We’re here to help you locate any problems in your water system, and we’ll be happy to talk to you more about the leak detection process.
Partial list of our services
What our customers say
Kit HaringtonAtlanta, Georgia - Homeowner
Why One Stop Restoration?
We are the right fire and smoke restoration firm for your emergencies because of the following:
Latest news from us
Blog post Mold Remedation As a homeowner, the mere mention of mold might give you a cold sweat. It’s...